INTERVIEW: Round 2: iLL Vibes x Mickey Factz - From XXL to The Achievement

. Jan 15, 2009

ROUND 2: iLL Vibes x Mickey Factz

"From XXL to The Achievement"



Vibe to Mickey Factz while you read this interview!


Mickey Factz - Heavens Fallout

Awhile back we had a chance to chop it up with Mickey Factz and ever since then he has increasingly been getting more of a buzz (Check out our FIRST interview with Mickey Factz). He is a diamond in the rough that is beginning to turn heads and open ears with every given day. This guy is definitely in my top 5 for the moment, as I am amazed by his witty lyrics, gritty NY flow, and eclectic sound. Mickey Factz does not have a lot of weaknesses and is really versatile, open to spit on other genres from alternative to electronica. His ego carries him, while his passion for the music balances him. I really feel like there are no boundaries for Mickey Factz in 2009. Fortunately iLL Vibes got the opportunity for a second interview with Factz as he touched upon being on the XXL Cover, his thoughts on the DMV, and working on his first LP, "The Achievement."


IV:

Ok, we don't have to have any introduction this time around. Its Mickey Factz, straight outta NY, dope flow, got that uber hip hop, Heaven's Fallout to the Leak, XXL cover, and they already know you aint like the "Rest Of Em." A lot has happened since we last did the interview man, you wrapped up the Leak vol. 2 and you have already gotten started on your first LP titled "The Achievement." Then XXL hit you up.. tell me how it felt when they hit you up to be on the cover.

Mickey Factz:

It felt like the greatest feeling anybody could ever experience. I do this for people just like me. The underdog who doesn't have a chance at making it happen but has all the talent in the world. No co-signs, No radio play, No big features. Just hard work, consistency and talent. I'll never forget that day.

IV:

And the hard work definitely paid off kid. It's a crazy list man they had Cory Gunz, Charles Hamilton, Wale, Asher Roth, Blu, Ace Hood, Curren$y, B.o.B., and Kid Cudi. However, do you feel like the overlooked anybody in particular that is killing the game right now? Cause I gotta say I was rootin for Drake. If Mickey had his own GFC magazine cover who would be on it?

Mickey Factz:

Everybody on the cover would be there. I woulda just had a Top 15 and added Drake, Jay Electronica, Nipsey Hussle, Nicki Minaj and Skyzoo. That woulda been crazy.



IV:

Drake is the truth and Skyzoo is definitely another gem out of NY. Almost all of the guys on the XXL cover I have been following on the blog from the beginning and we even got a chance to interview Asher. The complete list are all internet sensations. The game has changed, you look at last years cover...none of them were really over the net like that besides Crooked I and Papoose. Hamilton blogs, Asher blogs, Wale's manager Dan Weisman got a blog promoting him, and I've seen you been on top of it too with GFC. Talk about the positive
aspects of the net and also some of the negative things that you have come across.

Mickey Factz:

The positive side of it is your reaching people for free all over the world. People gravitate toward you and get a better understanding of what you do. The negative side is, regardless of what people may think, everybody doesn't go on the internet and if they do, they're not allllll checking for ur music. So its a weird space to be in but I wouldn't trade it for the world.


IV:


It's true...despite the increasingly popularity of the ne, television and and radio are still the main sources for the people to get their music. Switiching over to album sales....it is not the same anymore. It's funny cause just like you said the last CD I bought was Kanye's Graduation even though I already heard it all by the time it came out and the next one I've been meaning to get is Q-Tip's joint the Renaissance (he blacked out on it) after seeing him at the 9:30 Club in Washington, D.C. I remember you said that people aren't buying into music anymore, but rather what else comes with the artists be it style, videos, and mannerisms. I totally agree, so what do you think you have to do in order for "The Achievement" to put out some sales?


Mickey Factz:

Its going to be a piece of timeless art for the people. Not to mention the marketing and word of mouth has to be unforgettable. A crazy single and selling out shows also adds to the equation. I want people to feel like this is the soundtrack to their lives. It has to be a spectacle of art.

IV:

It seems like you got it all figured out man. Now, iLL Vibes is a blog coming out of the DMV area so I got to have a question targeted for our audience. When are you coming to the DC area man? I've been dying to go to a show or whatever. Also, how would you feel about ever working with DC artists like Wale, Tabi Bonney, Raheem Devaughn, Marky, etc.? Could that be a possibility for the future?

Mickey Factz:

I was actually in Baltimore this past month. It was really dope. People came out to show support and it was greatly appreciated. I've actually done something with Tabi Bonney. Wale and I have yet to do something, but hopefully it'll go down in the future. I like Raheem and my boy Kenny Burns rocks with Marky so when it boils down to it, there's tons of DMV love over here. I'll be in D.C. before Feb.


IV:

We know you got an eclectic side. So what is bumping in your rotation currently? Are there any acts out there people need to hear about?

Mickey Factz:

I've been bumping a lot of Kenna lately. I also have been checking out Zoot Woman, Mastercraft and John Tensta. Dope cats to peep.


One of my favorite cuts from Kenna

IV:

I love Kenna! "Loose Wires", "Say Goodbye to Love", and "State of Emotion" are my jams. We just finished up an interview with Colin Munroe and I every since I heard this dude's remix of Kanye's "Flashing Lights" I knew he was going to do something big. How was it like working with Colin on his mixtape "The Unsung Hero" on the track "One More Chance?" How did that whole collabo come about?

Mickey Factz:

Colin is an amazing talent who I respect dearly. It was great to work with him. The collab came about cause he reached out. He had talent and drive and I respected that. He's doing something for my album as well. So I can't wait for it to drop.

Check out the collab of Mickey Factz with Colin Munroe - "One More Chance"


04 One More Chance feat. Mickey Factz - Colin Munroe


IV:

I can't wait to hear another collab. Now, we gotta talk about the album. What can we expect from it, is it going to be like Heaven's Fallout? Which producers and other rappers have you worked with or plan to work with?

Mickey Factz:

The album The Achievement is going to be crazy. Its going to be like Heavens Fallout mixed with The Leak. Precize is handling the bulk of the project. IllFonics, Christian Rich, Ibe, Etc. I got a lot of things right now. As far as guests, I did something with Chester French, Kid Cudi, Curtis Santiago. Trying to lock down a couple more people but we'll see what happens. I can't wait though.

IV:

Kid Cudi is the man and we also had the pleasure to interview the ever so talented Chester French a couple weeks back, some cool people. So, I got to ask this question because youtube after youtube video I can't stop wilding out everytime I hear you kill a freestyle (recently that Episode 6 of The Achievement). Talk about the freestyle element of hip hop. How did you learn to get so good at it and how important do you think it is to hip hop?

Mickey Factz:

Well its all about practice, practice, practice. I can freestyle off the top and I can also spit writtens crazy. Its all about picking the right time to do which one. So far I've been on a pretty good run as far as the freestyling goes. Especially Episode 6 of The Achievement. That was a killer. Shout out to Cory (Gunz) and Charles (Hamilton). I had mad fun that day.

These are my top 3 freestyles from Mick

1. Mickey Factz - Episode 6: The Achievement with Charles Hamilton & Cory Gunz



2. Mickey Factz freestyling outside the Kid Cudi mixtape release



3. Mickey Factz with Cory Gunz on BET's "The Deal"


IV:

I bet man, some talented company around you that day. You are a multi-tasker, I see you doing promotion for GFC aside from just rapping with Nakim, Nipsy Hustle, and Devin the Dude. What other things you got going for you? You still keep in touch with my dude Theophilus London and Jesse Boykins? After the tracks I heard you do with them I want to hear more of that.




Mickey performing with Theophilus London in Brooklyn

Mickey Factz:


I mean I handle my business as far as GFCnewyork. That's my company. I'm going to be getting into more televised situations as well as working with more artists on the promotion tip. Theophilus London and Jesse Boykins are extended family and we'll be doing work together until I retire.


IV:

Good, shoutout to Theophilus London, he is definitly doing big things and I can't wait for his mixtape "The Charming Man" to come out soon. Aight Mickey, I got to say thank you so much taking the time out to do another interview with iLL Vibes. We got your back for the long haul and I can't wait to go out to Best Buy to cop that album when it comes out, hell I might buy a couple. I'll leave this spot for you to send out some shoutouts to your crew and people who have held you down and for anything you got to say.

Mickey Factz:

If your breathing this is for you! The Achievement is coming...


If you are new to Mickey Factz, get caught up on the music with his mixtapes below. I'm telling you, an instant classic is his "Heaven's Fallout" mixtape. It's simply amazing....

CLICK TO DOWNLOAD:


CLICK TO DOWNLOAD:

Back to the Future Flashback Vol. 1

THIS MIXTAPE IS AMAZING!! ONE OF MY FAVORITE EVER!!!

CLICK TO DOWNLOAD:

Heaven's Fallout

CLICK TO DOWNLOAD:

The Leak Vol. 1 - The Understanding


CLICK TO DOWNLOAD:
Coming in May 2009.....THE ACHIEVEMENT!!!!