Rap City Freestyle - Consequence, Nelly, and Murphy Lee ...

. Apr 27, 2008

Back in the day, I used to be a huge fan of Rap City. Every weekday at 5 I would plant myself in front of the TV and put on BET so I could catch Big Tigger in his grandmother's basement. The theme song had become ingrained in my head and freestyles from the previous day's show were always the topic of discussion at lunch in school. My favorite episode of Rap City was the episode in which ATCQ came through and blessed the basement. Being that I was only 9 when Yo MTV Raps aired its final episode, Rap City: The Basement became my version of that classic hip hop show. Given all of this , I was definitely saddened on January 17, 2005 when Big Tigger announced that it was his last episode of Rap City. Since then I haven't watched Rap City consistently and have definitely been disappointed by guest appearances and freestyle sessions. Yesterday, after a series of BET reality shows (Props to the banned Boondocks episode...haha), I was able to catch an episode of Rap City. The episode was hosted by Nelly, an individual who in my opinion has fallen off since the release of his first album, and featured appearances by Skillz (757!), Murphy Lee, and Consequence. The show started off with a freestyle by skillz and I was left speachless as he KILLED it. I could not find a clip of this anywhere on the net, but as soon as I get one, I will definitely post it. However, I was again let down by BET as they chose to play "Drop and Give Me 50" by Mike Jones immediately after this beast freestyle. Later on in the show Consequence, Nelly, and Murphy Lee came in and blessed the booth and I was definitely most impressed by Consequence's freestyle. Yesterday's show definitely took me back to the glory days of the Rap City when I used to race home from practice to watch it. Check out the video below of Consequence, Murphy Lee, and Nelly's freestyle session. Also be sure to visit Consequence's blog. I will be back!

**UPDATE: I posted the Skillz freestyle below...




Skillz Freestyle:



For those that missed it a few months back, Consequence ft. Kanye West - The Good, The Bad, The Ugly: